All of this began after a recent update about a a month ago (around June 3-5th?), I think it was update 7.4.156 according to a post I read. I found change log entries of Ubiquiti fiddling with ports and port profiles. Then all of a sudden all of the UDM Pro’s that I manage starting sending me “Transmission and Reception” error notices. At first I freaked out, but then I found it very odd that multiple UDMs were having the same issues. Then a week later my personal UDM started sending me the same notices. Well as soon as I received them of course it was off to Google/Reddit to figure out what the fuck was happening. A lot of people were (still are) having this issue. In short it seems that Ubiquiti made some changes and now the UDMs are reporting Transmission and Reception errors on ports. I have also noticed that this seems to happen when large chunks of bandwidth are used. Whenever my server downloads a huge amount of shit or when I am really getting busy with my Xbox I notice I get these messages. The UDMs I manage have a lot of CCTV bandwidth going on. The notices matche up when the end users are remotely streaming large amounts of CCTV footage.
Home – UDM Pro #6 is experiencing transmission and reception errors. This may indicate a problem with a port or cabling.
The people on Reddit that have been getting these notices have tested their UDMs for packet loss. They found no such thing to be true. I myself have also noticed zero issues when these messages are sent. I think Ubiquitis new port monitoring code needs some tweaks. Next time they do something like this it would be kind of nice of them to actually fucking say something! Almost every owner of a UDM seems to be experiencing this. Fuckin asshats.
We have Comcast Xfinity cable internet. It is the only internet provider I can get. Because it is cable internet I am served my internet over a coaxial cable to an Arris modem, currently an under performing SBG7400AC2. This was a standard WiFi combo modem/router unit a long while ago. While it still functions it does not currently support the internet speeds we pay for. Nor the amount of wireless devices they have set upon it. The powers that be where I live refuse to upgrade, so they pay for speeds I cannot attain.
Well the router sucks as you would imagine, there is not much control over anything, and the wireless was severely lacking in performance. I have noticed that most household routers can only handle about 20 active clients before you start to really see an issue with speed and packet loss, pages timing out on you.
At work I occasionally deal with networking. I was able to get my hands on and install and play with some Ubiquiti gear in the past few months. I ended up getting a Ubiquiti Universal Dream Machine Pro and a pair of UniFi Flex 5 port switches for myself to tinker with at my house. The special edition was a tad too expensive but I should have gotten that one in hind sight. The SE version adds all PoE ports (but only two PoE+ ports) and a 2.5GB port WAN1 instead of a 1GB port WAN1. Both have two 10GB SFP+ ports. AND, it seems the SE gets all the damn software updates first! What the fuck Ubiquiti?? I was able to talk the “management” into letting me use my UDM-Pro vs their current crappy Arris stuff and they agreed. So I installed a UDM-Pro and an U6-Lite access point. It was fantastic, the wireless coverage was now covering the entire house and the basement as well as it being capable of handling up to 300 devices. Fanfuckingtastic! The UDM-Pro also was achieving higher speeds (by about 200MB) with the modem in bridge mode rather than it handling the overhead of router as well. This worked great for a while, until I started to notice lots of high latency periods and moments of lack of connection.
If you’ve been here before then you know I use Node-Red, if not and you don’t know what Node-Red is, you should check it out. To get a frontend UI out of Node-Red there has always been the Dashboard node for us to use and a set of Dashboard nodes to go with it. I have never been a huge fan of the Dashboard, but it was what we had and it did the job. The Dashboard nodes allowed you place UI nodes and connect them to your data and it would do the rest, no HTML code required on your behalf. But that was one of the limitations, was that you did not have control over the code. Enter UIBuilder.
The UIBuilder Wiki and the Github for the author have a ton of information and examples of how to get a few basic things done. Just expect most of them to be done with VueJS. It appears (at least to me, I could be wrong) that UIBuilder was originally VueJS heavy/dependent and as it matures it is more open to other frameworks. As of v3.1.3 it no longer installs Bootstrap-Vue and VueJS by default, as it had done it all prior versions. So just be aware that you can use any framework you want, but all of the examples (so far) are all written in VueJS. There is also the Node-Red forums if you get stuck, the author also happens to frequent the group.